After a long day at work, Joanna Rohlf heads home to work on her side hustle muscle.
The 25-year old DC native is a social media fitness influence who makes YouTube videos and has 25.6K followers on Instagram. She estimates that can bring in anywhere from $200-1000 a month in addition to her full-time position at a non-profit organization.
“My day job covers all my main bills and I do Youtube because it helps me get more exposure into the fitness industry. The extra income is really beneficial and allows me to invest back in myself to continue to create content [by buying camera equipment, apparel, etc]”
Joanna is one of the millions of millennials that decide to create side income in order increase their savings rate or just to make an extra few bucks a month. In fact, 44% of workers aged 25-34 and 39% aged 18-24 also have side gigs, according to a recent CareerBuilder survey of 3,244 people.
Almost half of millennials work on top of their full-time jobs! Why?
Personally, I run this blog in addition to my full-time job as a Senior Accountant because I enjoy it, and it provides me supplemental income. If you could use another side-hustle here are some ideas that might help:
1. Sell on Amazon.com – Do you have old textbooks from college laying around? You should consider selling them on Amazon. In addition to textbooks, you can probably sell old books, DVDs, cell phones, or other electronics you may have lying around. You would be surprised how much you can get for your unwanted items.
2. Sell on eBay – Sell your unwanted items around your household on eBay is a good way to declutter and earn side income. I’ve been using eBay for about 7 years now and it is very easy to sell things around your home that you no longer use or find items that you can purchase for cheap and then flip them on eBay for a profit. I personally made $1,1379.79 one month by flipping iPhones. Just make sure that you keep the fees in consideration.
3. Coaching/Consulting – Becoming an online coach or consultant for others is becoming more valuable as are in the information age. If you are a very savvy at social media or are a fitness expert then selling your time and hopping on a Skype call or Google hangouts is a great hustle.
4. Online Freelancing – Odds are that you have some sort of talent, from programming, writing, designing, or great customer service skills. Websites like UpWork allow you to find rewarding projects that pay! You have the freedom to work on idea projects from a wide variety and pay highly. The more projects you work on, the more money you will gain and it is a great side hustle. Search here to see all job categories and find available projects.
5. Teaching Online Courses – If you can market or identify yourself as a developer, designer, or online marketer, then chances are you can teach a course to others and get paid. You can test this side hustle by heading on to Udemy or Skillshare, where you can market your skills. As you build your brand and become more successful, I would recommend teaching for higher-visibility online platforms like CreativeLive.
6. Podcasting – If you can build an audience for your podcast, then you can make some money through sponsorships, affiliate advertising, and other offerings. Companies regularly pay $250 to $500 for a 30-second advertisement on podcasts. There is money to be made with this side hustle. Alternatively, you can also start your own blog.
7. Perform Odd Jobs – You know about Uber and Airbbnb, but what about DogVacay and TaskRabbit? Dogvacay allows you to connect with dog owners who are willing to pay you to walk their dog, check in on a pet, or board a pet while the owner is traveling. Through TaskRabbit, you can get hired to perform odd jobs like house cleaning, cleaning a car, running errands, or assembling IKEA furniture.
8. Start a Dropshipping Business – Oberlo allows you to easily import products from AliExpress directly into your Shopify store and ship directly to your customers – in only a few clicks. It’s very simple to open a shop on Shopify and dropship items in order to create a business without too much risk. You can literally start and set up a dropshipping business with any type of product in one afternoon with minimal risk as Shopify has a 14-day free trail and Oberlo is completely free through this link.
9. eBook Publishing – Are you a good writer? You could write an eBook on your topic of choice and sell it on Amazon, Payhip, Lulu, Smashwords, Kobo Writing Life, PubIt! and many other websites that start you out in your side hustle as a published eBook author.
10. Earn Money From Home – Looking for more methods to make money from home? PayPerVids.com has compiled a list of 11 Ways to Make Money Online From Home and explains their methods and how anyone is able to make an extra $15,000 to $100,000 per year working online from home.
Want even more side hustles? We got you. Check out our side hustle guides for more money making methods.
Join the tribe of side hustlers in order to get updates sent straight to your inbox: