After a long day at work, Joanna Rohlf heads home to work on her side hustle muscle.
The 25-year old DC native is a social media fitness influence who makes YouTube videos and has 25.6K followers on Instagram. She estimates that can bring in anywhere from $200-1000 a month in addition to her full-time position at a non-profit organization.
“My day job covers all my main bills and I do Youtube because it helps me get more exposure into the fitness industry. The extra income is really beneficial and allows me to invest back in myself to continue to create content [by buying camera equipment, apparel, etc]”
Joanna is one of the millions of millennials that decide to create side income in order increase their savings rate or just to make an extra few bucks a month. In fact, 44% of workers aged 25-34 and 39% aged 18-24 also have side gigs, according to a recent CareerBuilder survey of 3,244 people.
Almost half of millennials work on top of their full-time jobs! Why?
Personally, I run this blog in addition to my full-time job as an Analyst because I enjoy it, and it provides me supplemental income. Believe me, if blogging didn’t allow me to make money then I would have stopped a while ago. It has provided me with an avenue that has opened a lot of doors in my life. I’ve tried countless side hustles but blogging has definitely paid off for me.
If you want to get started on your blog now, take a look at my free blog starter guide to get your site set up in less than 15 minutes. If you use my exclusive link, you can get a domain name for free and my exclusive discount price of $2.95/month for hosting!
If you could use another side-hustle here are some ideas that might help:
20+ Easy Side Hustles Millennials Can Start Today
1. Take Online Surveys – There are a lot of spammy survey companies out there — believe me, I’ve tried pretty much every survey site on the Internet — but Survey Junkie, Swagbucks ($5 signup bonus), Harris Poll, InboxDollars ($5 signup bonus) and My Points are 100% legit and not spammy. Their payouts are excellent, and they pay you in cash via PayPal. You can take surveys in your spare time or while watching TV. You can even take them from your phone while on the bus or waiting in line at the store. The earning possibilities are endless! Here is some more information on online surveys:
Take surveys and get paid at Survey Voices! You can make $800/week completing surveys! All you need to do is instantly qualify, then view exclusive offers in exchange for your opinions and get access to paid surveys, clinical trial opportunities, and part-time work offers! Want to make $800 a week? Click here to start earn cash on demand with Survey Voices.
Survey Junkie’s interface is super smooth and intuitive (unlike the majority of survey company websites that look like they were built in 1997), and members are paid in cash via Paypal. Oh, and Survey Junkie also has an 8.9/10 rating on TrustPilot — the highest of any online survey company. Click here to start earning money with Survey Junkie.
Earn cash, not points. InboxDollars pays members to read emails, take surveys online, play games, and go shopping! New users also receive $5 just for joining.
FusionCash is a loyalty program which rewards surfers for trying offers, taking surveys, and more. Sign Up Process: The sign up for FusionCash is very simple. Just click here to sign up with FusionCash, then fill out the few questions and you’re good to go. Also, you automatically get $5 bonus for signing up, which gets you a good jumpstart on your first cash out.
SurveyDownline is a 100% free service where residents of The United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia can earn cash by taking paid surveys. Everyone could use some extra cash, and filling in online surveys is a simple way to get paid for your valuable opinions. Paid surveys are easy to fill in at any time of the day or night. Even the busiest of people can take a paid market research survey in a few moments. Click here to start earning money with SurveyDownline.
2. Get $10 for Going Grocery Shopping – This is one of the easiest side hustles there is. The app you should know about is Ibotta. This cell phone app is available for iOS or Android phones, helps you make money off your grocery receipts. Yup, for real! You use it after you go grocery shopping and use your receipt. It’s basically a rebate app, so you can earn anywhere from 50 cents to $5 off everything you buy. It’s not brand specific either, you can scan any brand of cheese for 50 cents off, for example. If you do regularly coupon, you can still use the app and get a rebate. You can essentially get grocery items for free if you’re really into couponing. Best part, sign up here and you will receive a $10 cash bonus.
3. List Your Spare Bedroom – If you have extra room in your house, you can earn money hosting guests on Airbnb.com. Pretty cool way to make money and meet interesting people from around the world at the same time. With a little bit of traction, you can easily earn extra money that can go towards your rent or mortgage by hosting guests on Airbnb. Have you tried it? Click here to sign up as an Airbnb host.
4. Selling on Fiverr. Fiverr is one of the best sites in the world. The basic premise is “what would you do for $5?” You’ll find everything from hilariously weird and useless gags to legitimate and genuinely helpful micro-business tasks.
Lately, I’ve been experimenting as a seller on Fiverr, and have found it a pretty successful avenue for selling website optimization services, article writing, and proofreading services.
Fiverr can work for you as both a seller and a buyer. It is a great way to make money and also you can find millions of services. Best $5 I’ve ever spent was using a Resume Revision service and now I receive way more employer call backs now after the revisions. If you want to know which service I used, leave a comment below. If you want to try Fiverr, sign up through here for 20% off your first order at Fiverr.
5. Teaching Online Courses – If you can market or identify yourself as a developer, designer, or online marketer, then chances are you can teach a course to others and get paid. You can test this side hustle by heading on to Udemy or Skillshare, where you can market your skills. As you build your brand and become more successful, I would recommend teaching for higher-visibility online platforms like CreativeLive.
6. Podcasting – If you can build an audience for your podcast, then you can make some money through sponsorships, affiliate advertising, and other offerings. Companies regularly pay $250 to $500 for a 30-second advertisement on podcasts. Pssst.. We also have a guide for that: A Guide to Starting Your Podcast: How to Make it, How to Launch it, and How to Profit. There is money to be made with this side hustle. Alternatively, you can also use our guide to start your own blog (in 30 min or less).
7. Perform Odd Jobs – You know about Uber and Airbbnb, but what about DogVacay and TaskRabbit? Dogvacay allows you to connect with dog owners who are willing to pay you to walk their dog, check in on a pet, or board a pet while the owner is traveling. Through TaskRabbit, you can get hired to perform odd jobs like house cleaning, cleaning a car, running errands, or assembling IKEA furniture.
8. Start a Drop Shipping Business – Oberlo allows you to easily import products from AliExpress directly into your Shopify store and ship directly to your customers – in only a few clicks. It’s very simple to open a shop on Shopify and drop ship items in order to create a business without too much risk. You can literally start and set up a drop shipping business without any type of product in one afternoon with minimal risk as Shopify has a 14-day free trail and Oberlo is completely free through this link.
9. eBook Publishing – Are you a good writer? You could write an eBook on your topic of choice and sell it on Amazon, Payhip, Lulu, Smashwords, Kobo Writing Life, PubIt! and many other websites that start you out in your side hustle as a published eBook author.
Right now Lyft is offering a $250 sign up bonus through this link!
11. Online Freelancing – Odds are that you have some sort of talent, from programming, writing, designing, or great customer service skills. Websites like UpWork allow you to find rewarding projects that pay! You have the freedom to work on idea projects from a wide variety and pay highly. The more projects you work on, the more money you will gain and it is a great side hustle. Search here to see all job categories and find available projects.
12. Earn a $50+ Bonus by Opening a New Credit Card – As long as you make sure to pay off the balance each month, reward cards are a great way to earn some extra cash. Taking advantage of a sign-up bonus here and there can definitely get some extra money into your account. One card that I recommend is Discover it which has no annual fee and offers a $50 sign up bonus when you open a new account. Boom! That easy.
13. Sell on Amazon.com – Do you have old textbooks from college lying around? You should consider selling them on Amazon. In addition to textbooks, you can probably sell old books, DVDs, cell phones, or other electronics you may have lying around. You would be surprised how much you can get for your unwanted items.
14. Check Open Class Action Lawsuits – If you use a product that’s involved in a class-action lawsuit, a little online legwork could get you a cash payout. The rules of each settlement are different, but in most cases , you’ll have to provide proof of purchase or product use, like a serial number or a receipt. Once you fill out your online claim form, you may have to wait a few weeks or months before receiving your payment.
Psst — I regularly post new class-action settlement information, so check in often to make sure you’re not missing a chance to get paid!
15. Sell on eBay – Sell your unwanted items around your household on eBay is a good way to declutter and earn side income. I’ve been using eBay for about 7 years now and it is very easy to sell things around your home that you no longer use or find items that you can purchase for cheap and then flip them on eBay for a profit. I personally made $1,1379.79 one month by flipping iPhones. Just make sure that you keep the fees in consideration.
16. Affiliate Marketing – Refer website visitors to buy products online and earn a small commission on each sale. This probably won’t make you rich, but can be a viable side business. I just started using the MaxBounty Affiliate Program and it’s great so far! Great way to add affiliate links to your blog or website that doesn’t look spammy. If you don’t have a blog already, I wrote a how to start a blog guide (in under 30 min) that was similar to the guide I used to start this blog you’re currently on. Check it out! If you want cheap hosting, I would recommend BlueHost, you can get hosting for as cheap as $3.95/month… yes seriously. Only $3.95!
17. Coaching/Consulting – Becoming an online coach or consultant for others is becoming more valuable as are in the information age. If you are a very savvy at social media or are a fitness expert then selling your time and hopping on a Skype call or Google hangouts is a great hustle.
18. Get Paid When You Online Shop – Get cash-back for items you would have bought anyway. You can do this by shopping online with Ebates. Ebates is my favorite way to make money when I shop online. Every time I shop online, I start at Ebates and then I get cash back deposited into my PayPal account. If you want to try Ebates, click here for a free $10 signup bonus. Hello, free money!
19. Deliver Pizzas – You can in deliver pizzas in order to bring extra cash into your wallet. Not only do delivery drivers get an hourly wage, you can earn some serious tips! You can earn around $15.00 per hour doing this on the side on top of your full-time gig. You can use our job search feature to search for local pizza places, or other part time jobs hiring in your area.
Want a guaranteed job? The seven companies below are hiring nationwide right now. Click below to find opportunities in your area with the companies that interest you the most: Starbucks, Kroger, Walgreens, Lowe’s, Target, and McDonalds are hiring in your area.
If none of these companies interest you, signup here to be notified of other part-time opportunities with reputable companies.
20. Advertise on Your Car – This is some seriously passive income. Companies such as Carvertise will pay to put a wrap on your car, and then pay you to simply drive you regular routes with the advertisements on your car. You can get the right to say “no” to a particular ad you’re uncomfortable with the content of the ad. Most companies pay you between $100-$400 a month to advertise on your car. Not too bad.
21. Earn Money From Home – Looking for more methods to make money from home? PayPerVids.com has compiled a list of 11 Ways to Make Money Online From Home and explains their methods and how anyone is able to make an extra $15,000 to $100,000 per year working online from home.
22. Become a stay-at-home salesperson – Like a door-to-door salesperson only with far less leg-work, hosting sales “parties” at your home on behalf of the likes of Avon and Pampered Chef is a great way to meet new people and make some money.
23. Watch videos online This one might just be the toughest in the list. who are we kidding, all you need to do is watch some short videos. Given how easy it is to lose yourself in a never-ending cycle of YouTube videos, this one couldn’t be easier. The catch here? The videos include ads.While they may annoy you while browsing YouTube, you also don’t get paid to watch them. At InboxDollars, you do. Who wouldn’t watch an ad or two if they were getting paid?
Are Side Hustles Worth It?
I sure think so. Learn how one of my readers actually uses side hustles to pay off debt: How to Use Side Hustles to Pay Off Debt
Want more money making apps? Check here: Best Money Making Apps for 2017